Here’s looking at you, kid.
Lighting is one of the most important elements of a party. It’s also one of the easiest and most inexpensive ways to set a party’s tone and create a mood. Read on for our 10 tips for creating a perfectly lit party atmosphere:
1. Use candles. Nothing will make your guests look and feel more glamorous than candlelight. Tall taper candles always look elegant, and white votive candles can be placed in groupings to define the bar and other party spaces. Make sure to choose unscented candles, so they won’t detract from whatever you’re serving.
2. Turn off overhead lighting. In Hollywood, overhead lighting is used to age actors on film because it casts unflattering shadows. To make sure your guests look and feel their best, turn off as many overhead lights as you can when entertaining.
3. Turn on wall sconces, table lamps, and floor lamps. Instead of using overhead lights to illuminate your party space, opt for wall sconces and lamps that cast light down or at eye level. They create the most flattering and soft glow.
4. Use low-wattage bulbs. Soft-white, 25-watt light bulbs offer the most flattering light and cast the most natural shadows.
5. Choose opaque lamp shades. Unlined lamp shades allow bright light to pass through, so opt instead for opaque shades that cast light up or down. For a glamorous glow, choose lamp shades with a gold lining.
6. Build a fire. If the weather is cool enough, light a fire. Nothing is more romantic and flattering than firelight, and there’s a scientific explanation for why it draws people together.
7. Install dimmer switches. Put as many lights as you can on dimmer switches so you can control the level of illumination as the evening progresses and the natural light changes.
8. Pre-light your powder room. It can be jarring to walk from a candlelit party into a brightly lit powder room, so prep your powder room for your party by setting the light to a dim level and placing a small, lightly scented candle on the vanity. Jo Malone’s Grapefruit Candle is a great choice that appeals to both men and women.
8. Add reflective pieces to your party decor. Mirrored bar carts and serving trays reflect candlelight beautifully and add instant glamour to a party.
9. Add a collection of colorful glass objects to your dining or cocktail table. When illuminated by candles, glass bowls, glassware, and decanters sparkle like gems, adding instant glamour to a party.
And here are a few more story topics we think you’ll enjoy:
How to take Instagram-worthy tabletop photos
How to set up a home bar
The 10 most beautiful powder room candles
The 10 best tabletop designs from the Orchid Dinner sponsored by Veranda
Photos: Annie Campbell, Jan Showers, Architectural Digest, Mix and Chic
Party Lighting: Tips for Creating a Glamorous Space
Welcome Photo and Quote Mashup
Welcome Photo: Hedy Lamarr
Welcome Quote: Casablanca,1942